Tuesday 24 January 2012

January 24, 2012 – All settled into residence


           Over the past few days my mom and I have gotten the basic things so that I’m all ready for residence.  Surprisingly, the steak I’ve had 3 nights in a row at the hotel restaurant has been my favourite food so far here.  The weather has been good the past few days as well with limited rain.  On the weekend my mom and I visited the Glasgow Necropolis, which is a giant cemetery with the biggest tombstones and monuments I’ve ever seen in a cemetery.  We also visited the famous Glasgow cathedral which we didn’t get to see last time we were in Glasgow 5.5 years ago.  To be honest, it was a sight to see, but I’ve seen so many churches and cathedrals in the past few weeks that it just seemed like the rest of them.
            On Sunday I got my residence room.  It ends up that I’m once again on the top floor of my residence, but this time there is no elevator.  Thankfully I am just 4 floors up, but it definitely sucked lugging my heavy suitcase up all those stairs.  I am in a flat with 6 girls in total.  I’ve only met 2 of them so far.  There is one girl from Greece, one from Texas, 2 from China apparently, and one from Latvia.  Our flat has our 6 single rooms in it, a lounge area with a TV and cable, kitchen, 2 showers, and 2 toilets.  Thankfully we have sinks in our own rooms.  These past few nights I’ve slept in my new room, and my bed is a tad on the hard side, which makes me miss my bed back home.  Guess I’ll have to live with it though.  My mom left early this morning to go back home.  It was hard saying bye to her last night but thankfully with modern technology, I can skype with family and friends easily back home. :)  The adventure is just starting to begin!
            Today I have my first class!  Once I go to my academic advisor and get my timetable all finalized, and then go shopping for some extra things I need, I’ll be almost set.  It ends up that 2 of my classes only have between 20-25 people in them, which will be a huge change from McMaster.  I’m excited for my classes, but also curious about how they’ll differ to my courses back home.  3 of my classes are actually graduate classes, but they are apparently equal to McMaster’s 4th year classes.  After class, I’m then meeting Mike to sign up for the University of Glasgow International Society’s day trip to Stirling castle and the Gleyngone Whisky Distillery this coming Saturday.  Busy day ahead of me!