Friday 20 January 2012

January 20, 2012 – First few days in Glasgow


           On Wednesday we arrived in Glasgow in the evening.  After taking a cab to the hotel, and organizing and unpacking everything we met up with Mike finally for dinner at our hotel.  The next day was a busy day for my mom and I.  We ended up getting my student card, then my bank letter, then opening up a bank account, and finally getting a cell phone.  Doing all that took us most of the day and it was very tiring walking around the city, especially on campus with the giant hills.  Mike then met up with us and we had dinner altogether again.  The Scottish do live up to their reputation of not having great food.  I haven’t been impressed with their food yet.  Everything seems bland or the texture of things just isn’t right.  Maybe I’m just sick of restaurant food.  To be honest, I’m excited for when I get to start cooking for myself.  Their weather hasn’t been anything special here as well.  It has been raining off and on most of the time we’ve been here.  Nothing new for Glasgow winters though.  They rarely get sun here at this time of year.  One waiter we had at a restaurant even stated that Glasgow has all 4 seasons in a single day.  One hour it might be a very mild, nice day, and the next it might be very dark with rain and snow falling really hard.
            Today my mom and I went shopping for some things for my residence room.  We found the Poundland (like Dollarama back home) and Primark, which was an amazing cheap department store.  Afterwards Mike gave us a tour of the University of Glasgow, which was a very nice campus.  Just like most universities it has very old gorgeous buildings, but also modern buildings that aren’t as architecturally pleasing.  We ended up trying out the Glasgow subway today and it was hilariously small.  It is like a toy subway.  The platform itself is probably 1/8 of the size of platforms on the TTC and the train itself is a tube shape.  It just has bench seats going along each side of the train with enough space for one person to stand in between.  I ended up hanging out with Mike for most of the afternoon after we had lunch with my mom and tomorrow we get to do REAL shopping with all the winter sales going on.